Artichokes can be steamed or baked. I typically steam mine using Martha Stewart’s method and they come out perfect every time.
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt to taste
How to prepare artichokes
- Cut off tough outer leaves.
- Cut off top 1/3 of artichoke.
- Snip remaining sharp or spiky tips using kitchen scissors.
- Cut stem so artichoke stands upright.
- Rub cut surfaces with lemon to prevent discoloration.
- Set a steamer basket in a large pot; add enough water so it reaches just below the basket.
- Squeeze lemon juice into water and add 1 tablespoon salt; bring to a boil.
- Place artichokes in steamer basket, stem-side up.
- Cover pot, and steam until heart is tender when pierced with a tip of a paring knife, and inner leaves pull out easily, 35-45 minutes; add more water to pot, if necessary.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Slowly add olive oil while continuing to whisk. Add salt and pepper.