Okra, also known as "Lady's finger" is rich in vitamins and contains cancer-fighting properties.
Okra is used in many cultures and can be served in various ways. I serve it cooked in tomato sauce over rice or with feta cheese and a baguette.
- 1 package of Okra
- 1 box tomato puree (26.4 oz) or you can use freshly pureed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cleaned okra in a pan with olive oil.
- Sautee for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomato puree.
- Add salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of sugar (or another natural sweetener) if the tomatoes are too acidic or slightly bitter.
- If needed, add some water.
- Cover and let simmer until okra is soft (about 45-minutes) stir occasionally.
- Serve over rice or with a baguette and feta cheese!