My Shepherd's Pie
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 medium potato
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef
- 1 cup chopped kale (small pieces)
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons chicken or beef broth (white wine is fine too)
Cauliflower Potato Mash
- Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
- Clean and cut a medium size head of cauliflower into small pieces along with one potato.
- Cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain well.
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower and potato with 2 tablespoons butter, blend until almost smooth, gently blend in shredded parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
The Meat and Vegetable Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to hot pan along with onions, carrots, and celery, season with salt and pepper. Saute vegetables until soften.
- Add meat, season with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add kale, sprinkle salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire and broth to the meat.
- Cook meat together with vegetables for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Putting It All Together
- Remove pan from stove and spoon mash over meat evenly. If your pan is not able to go in the oven you can transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to an oven-safe dish then cover with cauliflower/potatoe mash.
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes watching to make sure the mash does not burn.
- Remove pan from the oven, drizzle olive oil over top and sprinkle parmesan cheese. Serve with a roll and side salad.