Pan seared tofu with mixed vegetables in a Korean barbecue sauce
First let me say, my husband can't have onions so if you're wondering...where the heck are the scallions? That's the reason. I also had to be selective with the vegetables I used for his sake (he's on the FodMap diet), but feel free to put whatever vegetables you like.
- 14 oz block extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 eggplant chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2-4 Tbsp. Korean barbecue sauce (you can make your own or use store bought brand. I use Original Korean BBQ Marinade found at Whole Foods.
- Remove tofu from package. Slice tofu length wise 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. Place tofu on a plate lined with a paper towel. Cover tofu with a piece of paper towel. Lightly pat tofu to remove the excess water. Leave tofu on plate for about 30 minutes. If you can't wait 30 minutes just pat the tofu with a paper towel to get as much water out as you possible.
- In the meantime chop up the vegetables.
- Heat 1 Tbsp.. oil in pan.
- Sprinkle a little flour on both sides of the tofu.
- Pan sear the tofu about 3 minutes per side on medium to high heat.
- Remove tofu from pan. Once cooled, slice into cubes - set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add vegetables, salt and pepper to taste.
- Once vegetables are close to being tender add tofu and Korean barbecue sauce.
- Mix well, sauté to incorporate sauce and flavors for about 5 minutes.
Eat as is or serve over rice or noodles.